Wednesday 8 May 2013

OK, this really is my last post for tonight. (This stuff is way too addictive!) I was talking to my line manager, over a (great) macchiato (we welcome the spotted and the unspotted here!) earlier in the week at a break-out in the Grant Application Awayday at the Tickell's Arms in Whittlesford, it's this really old place, obsolete in some ways, but it has character (apparently Enoch Powell used to sing Das Rheingold here in the 1890s!) and he mentioned a really, like, gross gap in the market for blogs and such. Apparently blogs are more or less finished, which makes me kind of sad  --  (*sighs*) --, since I've just discovered them and all, but my manager thought that there was still one pretty much unharvested feature about them. He pointed out that one thing we do all the time is to type our own names into search engines -- I giggled because I don't know how many times I've put 'Julian Limbo' into Google late at night when I've been really stressed out about the General Board's Strategic Review here at Lethe of our set texts in the Irreversible Perdition Tripos, especially when they were suggesting that one of them should be Willard Van Eugene Ormandy Quine's 'To Be Is To Be The Value Of A Bound Variable', which we folks in Hell pretty much regard as a sacred text, and not really suitable for undergraduates -- and he said that what bloggers had really failed to appreciate was that the quickest way to establish a readership was absolutely to play this narcissism, to fill their blogs with the names of individual particular people who would be bound to Google themselves, especially men, who are always hoping that they'll run into some impossibly glamorous and fatal female admirer on line, and they'll end up at your blog. And then he said that if you wanted to convert somebody, if you were some sort of hilarious out of date, I think 'Christian ironist' was the phrase he used, although to be honest he is a little but fill (oops bit full) of himself when he gets to reminiscing about his sophomore days, that that would be the way to go. He also said that the function of comedy was changing, that jokes used to be theone thing that you couldn't really take people to court for, and that that was kind of the point of them, but that the people who still thought that now had kind of missed a legal trick, and needed better advice. Sure hope he's wrong, LOL! even though I never really set much store by laughter, it always seemed kind of cheap. I'm more into Paul Celan (LOL I first wrote 'Clean') and that kind of thing, deeper sorts of thing, myself? So I won't append anyone's name to this post? But you have been warned!

No comments:

Post a Comment